HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Xpost from AskScience, "If muscle building is just muscle tears why can't we tear the muscles with a laser or other synthetic means..."

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pitchblue
Admin

PostSubject: Xpost from AskScience, "If muscle building is just muscle tears why can't we tear the muscles with a laser or other synthetic means..."   Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Because muscle building isn't just micro tears and repairs of muscle fibers. Actually, it's not totally clear that those are directly correlated with muscle growth; some lifts, like the deadlift, the Olympic lifts, box squats, and partial squats or presses done from pins or a box, have either a vastly reduced eccentric component or none at all, and therefore they do not cause significant microtrauma; however, they nonetheless lead to increased size and strength. Microtrauma has also been shown to decrease with training; hence why your first workout after a layoff will produce unimagined levels of soreness, but your tenth or eleventh will produce almost none. My understanding is that satellite cells are able to contribute to the growth of muscle cells even if there is no microtrauma.
The actual process by which the body "figures out" that new muscle tissue is required isn't fully understood. A great deal of it definitely has to do with the flood of anabolic hormones post-workout. Strength gains also come from not just the synthesis of new muscle tissue but also from increased neuromuscular efficiency; likewise, size comes not just from myofibrillar hypertrophy, wherein the actual muscle fibers increase in diameter, but also from sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, wherein the muscles basically store more fluid. The continuum here explains why Olympic weightlifters can be very explosive but not particularly large and why bodybuilders can be very large but not particularly strong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wifflebot.niceboard.com
Pitchblue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xpost from AskScience, "If muscle building is just muscle tears why can't we tear the muscles with a laser or other synthetic means..."   Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:18 pm

The actual process by which the body "figures out" that new muscle tissue is required isn't fully understood. A great deal of it definitely has to do with the flood of anabolic hormones post-workout.
An interesting study to validate this particular point. Four experimental groups, over a 10 week period:

placebo + no exercise
testosterone injections + no exercise
placebo + resistance exercise
testosterone + resistance exercise

The interesting part? The guys who got the testosterone injections while not exercising built up almost as much muscle mass as the non-treated guys who did exercise.
Back to top Go down
Pitchblue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xpost from AskScience, "If muscle building is just muscle tears why can't we tear the muscles with a laser or other synthetic means..."   Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:18 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1245sj/if_muscle_building_is_just_the_micro_tears_and/

Sources in thread
Back to top Go down
Epinephrine
Heshen

PostSubject: Re: Xpost from AskScience, "If muscle building is just muscle tears why can't we tear the muscles with a laser or other synthetic means..."   Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:23 pm

similar studies have been done measuring upper arm girth. Tons of russians have done this study where 2 groups are given identical diet and rest time (including nightly sleep) and one group is on a 6 week squatting program. only squats and nothing else. another group doing nothing but Bicep/Tricep workouts. Suprisingly, the squat group saw larger gains in upper arm girth across the board apparently due to higher testosterone levels (casued by use of larger muscle groups) in combination with daily activities such as grocery shopping and whatever else russians do.

Nutrition/ Hormone balance is everything.. get it close enough and you can just do whatever the fuck feels right/ enjoyable for exercise. after 3.5 years of studying anatomy/physiology + biomechanics, squats are the only lift i dub holy among all exercises. but still not even neccesary to get that testosterone surge.

4 months off of lifting due to a back injury aside from dipping my toes in P90x over summer, i decided to start squatting again but before i did, i did a few tempo runs the week before squatting.

temop run: (100m run for time. 1:1 run/rest ratio. @34sec per, 17sec run/17sec rest for a total of 1600m)

i noticed significant increases in testosterone levels from sex drive to taht overall feeling of wanting to spear shit with a trident upon waking up in the morning...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Epinephrine
Heshen

PostSubject: Re: Xpost from AskScience, "If muscle building is just muscle tears why can't we tear the muscles with a laser or other synthetic means..."   Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 pm

+ increase in muscle mass from my daily pullups @ volleyball play that had not shown any gain in muscle mass for the previous 2 months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xpost from AskScience, "If muscle building is just muscle tears why can't we tear the muscles with a laser or other synthetic means..."   

Back to top Go down

Xpost from AskScience, "If muscle building is just muscle tears why can't we tear the muscles with a laser or other synthetic means..."
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1