HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

BODY WEIGHT FITNESS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Muffinman

PostSubject: BODY WEIGHT FITNESS   Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Just curious to see how WB feels about body weight fitness instead of free weights and whatever other styles of exercise there are that I probably don't know of.
Trying to get back into shape and kind of want some pointers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Epinephrine
Heshen

PostSubject: Re: BODY WEIGHT FITNESS   Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:31 pm

nothing wrong with body weight for getting back into shape. you can simplify or add variants to these exercises if they get easy/boring: pushup, pullup, squat.

super simple but its literally just how hard you push yourself. if you can gut out an hour of pushups pullups and squats and do like situps for "rest" you will shred yourself.

if shit get boring mix up the grips on pullups or do pushups with your feet on a ball ect... another great thing is to squat down, touch ground, and jump with arms in the air. do 10 of those in a row and ull be like fuck.

BW is simple and only requires a bar if you want to mix in pullups.
but base it around SQUAT > PUSHUP > PULL UP if you can. mix in running and shit.

crossfit gets a bad rap but they get results. here is an example workout crossfity style:

12 pushups
12 squats
2 minute run
12 pull ups
12 squats
2 minute run
>repeat X amount of times OR go repeat until a certain amount of time is up.

once again it comes down to how much you can handle and how hard yor willing to push yourself.

another example would be

AMRAP (as many reps as possible) literally squat down and stand up as many times as you can in 5 min before the next phase. obv cant do pushups for 5 min but you would try to stay up the whoe time towards the end.. maybe squeek out one or two extra.. this shit goes to failure

5min squat amrap
2min rest
5min pushup amrap
2min rest
5min jumproap amrap
ect...

if you want any help ive literally been tarining D1 athletes at purdue for over two years now. hit me up in vent or something and i could talk it out to get you set up on a program but then its up to you to follow and report back with details such as pain, soreness, anything unusual.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pitchblue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: BODY WEIGHT FITNESS   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:11 am

Body weight workouts can be absolutely brutal (p90x is basically bodyweight or simulated bodyweight with added lbs). It totally depends on your goals though. If its building a foundation for fitness/losing body fat/getting cardio up/etc., bodyweight workouts are an awesome place to start. If its building size you're going to want to be lifting weight in some form or another. Either 3 day starting strength/compound lift style, or a 4/5 day split where you hit one different muscle group each day.

Personally, I'm a big fan of p90x for people who want to get fit and need direction because it pushes you to your limits despite what that limit is. There's no "bench 225x8" in p90x. If the max amount of reps you can do for a drill in p90x is 1, then that's fine in the context the program. It's going to be difficult, but its no easier for a veteran than it will be for you. Also p90x allows you quite a great deal of flexibility in the way of rest times, substitute exercises, and more, so you'll really be able to customize it. Best part is all you do is torrent it, print out the tracking sheets and calendar, and watch it on your ipad/iphone/etc at home. There's also optional days (yoga, stretching, more) and a diet plan if you want to get crazy. You will need a pull up bar and an exercise band though.

But talk to Eph and maybe post your goals ITT. Theres a shit ton of workout plans out there.

tl;dr p90x best bodyweight workout 2013 NA
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wifflebot.niceboard.com
Pitchblue
Admin

PostSubject: Re: BODY WEIGHT FITNESS   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:31 am

Also, fitness is 80% diet 20% excercise. If you eat well, you will recover quicker, you'll feel better during your workouts, and you'll cut BF% and/or build muscle. Not saying you dont or anything, just sort of goes with what was said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wifflebot.niceboard.com
Muffinman

PostSubject: Re: BODY WEIGHT FITNESS   Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:10 am

Yeah I really don't care for building muscle right now at least. Just want to be lean.

@ Epin..

I actually was doing crossfit that summer I lived with OHWERD. Ya I wouldn't mind some help I mean I currently use the nike training center app. Has a ton of really good all body weight workouts. Haven't done much of them lately. Wouldn't mind a little help on what I can do just during the day after a run or something. Definitely need to get a pull up bar.

@ Pitch...

As far as my diet goes. I try and maintain 90% of my entire meal intake for the day as whole foods. NO PROCESSED CRAP. Mainly grains, vegetables, oats, and fruit. The other 10% is a mix of dairy/animal based products. Got the idea for the documentary Forks over Knives. Definitely worth the watch. Obviously I wasn't eating like this during the BBQ lol. Just started back up this last week.

As far as the p90X stuff I'm not really good nor have I ever been with torrents. Where could I go to safely download that stuff.

GOALS: I've always wanted a six pack Smile It's there. He's just really good at playing hide and go seek. Been losing for years. Worse than Peter Pan trying to catch his shadow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Epinephrine
Heshen

PostSubject: Re: BODY WEIGHT FITNESS   Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 am

Agree with P90x. Ive done it.. pretty brutal but once again you get out of it what you put into it. having a partner helps a fuckton also tracking numbers (p90x does).

<this is one of many dietary timing strategies.. works for me.. others are shown to be successful too>

Nutrition timing is massively underrated. You can eat healthy as fuck but if you are loading up on foods at night... your cuts are more than likely going to be painstakingly slow.

Time of day and activity influence what the fuck your body does with shit passing through it. Eat less at night... especially carbs even if whole grains and shit, and make yourself start eating a good breakfast.

I made this "timing" change to my diet and the first couple nights sucked because i was craving shit to eat while lying in bed.. after a few days it fades. at the same time as the timing change i swaped my diet from an ultra low carb to "eat whatever the fuck looked good diet (as long as gluten free)"... still heathy ish but no holding back on chocolate, burgers (not fast food ones) or like waffles which i had every single morning for breakfast. with no major changes in exercise habits, ive lost a notable amount of fat gained definition. (not trying to bulk)

this is an easy change to make and you dont have to change up what you eat or make sacrifices.. just eat a big ass fucking breakfast.. something to look forward to at night.

++if you have that inner beast within you.. nothing will make you feel better about yourself than waking up and just knocking out some pushups and pullups or running for like 15 minutes before you eat breakfast.

the ultimate sign of dedication is doing a little of that shit before you eat when your hungry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sneakbiscuit
Heshen

PostSubject: Re: BODY WEIGHT FITNESS   Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm

+1 for P90x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BODY WEIGHT FITNESS   

Back to top Go down

BODY WEIGHT FITNESS