HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 am

First Wall Street, then NY, then Boston, Chicago, LA, Austin, London to name a few...

Anyone else think that this is the first stage of 2012ery? The global revolution is coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:08 am

those are riot police mobbing occupy Boston at this very moment
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:09 am

http://occupylosangeles.org/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
missmurder
Heshen

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:45 am

is danny glover there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:34 pm

A NEWLY RELEASED MESSAGE FROM ANONYMOUS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZA3y05Dcz8
Hello world, hello protestors. This is a message from anonymous. This is a message to the 99 percent. This is a message to the American Autumn. It is clear that from the beginning of this movement we have been censored. Despite the fact that, massive demonstrations, were planning to occupy wallstreet, we were ignored in the media. Despite the fact that the protestors were flocking from every corner of the nation to join the protest they remained silent. However, the era of the internet is upon us. The power to circumvent the mass media has become trivial. You are paper tigers, and we are a scorching wildfire. The elites have been forced to recognize the movement, they have been forced to stand against us. And so began the campaign to mock us. We are dirty, homeless, unAmerican, stupid, voiceless, disorganized, violent. We are a mob, we are young, foolish, liberal, unemployed. We are leeches, parasites, anarchists, brainwashed. We are communists, dangerous, untrustworthy, rabble rousers, terrorists. However, despite the frantic and desparate moves by the elites to slander this movement, despite their vain efforts to curtail and skew our image, we have shattered through ther lies. The truth was spread, the lies were snuffed out. We will not be set aside by mere insults and disgusting propaganda. We are the people, and this is what democracy looks like. The elites now are being pushed up against the walls. They are resorting to their trump cards, and the strong arms have arrived. The camps of boston have been raided. The camps of San Francisco have been dispersed. The protests in New York have been violently curtailed and beaten. The protests in Seattle are on the verge of being raided by riot police. This is the final step in our strategy. A famous man once said that at first they will ignore you. Then they will mock you. Thirdly they will fight you. And then you win. There is nothing you can do. There are no more moves to make, this is checkmate. The game is over wall street. You fell into our trap, you repeated history. You planted the seeds for civil dissent, and now you will watch as what you reap is sowed, you will watch as the entire country blossoms and you are consumed. All the dominos are falling, and you will watch as one by one we prevail. The protestors have won. Stop your vain efforts, the wildfires are all around you. Stop preparing for revolution. Its upon you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:37 am

I mean, this is kind of the guys fault, but pretty brutal.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OH WERD
Heshen

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 pm

ahahah. i really don't have any empathy for idiots who egg on cops. They usually get what they deserve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lezpch, The Redeemed
OG

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 pm

OH WERD wrote:
ahahah. i really don't have any empathy for idiots who egg on cops. They usually get what they deserve.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Shitgoose, MD
OG

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:46 pm

protest will accomplish nothing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:06 am

Thirteen Observations made by Lemony Snicket while watching Occupy Wall Street from a Discreet Distance

1. If you work hard, and become successful, it does not necessarily mean you are successful because you worked hard, just as if you are tall with long hair it doesn’t mean you would be a midget if you were bald.

2. “Fortune” is a word for having a lot of money and for having a lot of luck, but that does not mean the word has two definitions.

3. Money is like a child—rarely unaccompanied. When it disappears, look to those who were supposed to be keeping an eye on it while you were at the grocery store. You might also look for someone who has a lot of extra children sitting around, with long, suspicious explanations for how they got there.

4. People who say money doesn’t matter are like people who say cake doesn’t matter—it’s probably because they’ve already had a few slices.

5. There may not be a reason to share your cake. It is, after all, yours. You probably baked it yourself, in an oven of your own construction with ingredients you harvested yourself. It may be possible to keep your entire cake while explaining to any nearby hungry people just how reasonable you are.

6. Nobody wants to fall into a safety net, because it means the structure in which they’ve been living is in a state of collapse and they have no choice but to tumble downwards. However, it beats the alternative.

7. Someone feeling wronged is like someone feeling thirsty. Don’t tell them they aren’t. Sit with them and have a drink.

8. Don’t ask yourself if something is fair. Ask someone else—a stranger in the street, for example.

9. People gathering in the streets feeling wronged tend to be loud, as it is difficult to make oneself heard on the other side of an impressive edifice.

10. It is not always the job of people shouting outside impressive buildings to solve problems. It is often the job of the people inside, who have paper, pens, desks, and an impressive view.

11. Historically, a story about people inside impressive buildings ignoring or even taunting people standing outside shouting at them turns out to be a story with an unhappy ending.

12. If you have a large crowd shouting outside your building, there might not be room for a safety net if you’re the one tumbling down when it collapses.

13. 99 percent is a very large percentage. For instance, easily 99 percent of people want a roof over their heads, food on their tables, and the occasional slice of cake for dessert. Surely an arrangement can be made with that niggling 1 percent who disagree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:13 am

OGSWANSON wrote:
protest will accomplish nothing

Maybe not, but its global at this point... I can't exactly see a movement this big just packing it up. The only thing that's slowly killing it is that the whole Occupy movement doesn't really have a clear stated goal or solution.

They just set up an official headquarters in NY, i'm guessing that things might get a bit more serious when the community has a figure to stand behind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:22 am

ib2012, ibPlotofBookofEli
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WbHistory
OG

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Did y'all see what I posted about what happened to me in NYC this weekend? These people are fucking crazy, they openly said they don't even know what they want. They are costing MA residents nearly 2 million dollars in additional taxes because they fucked up a bunch of shit and all the cops... losers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:11 am

I mean, they know what they want unless they're idiots. Everyone knows what they want they just don't know how to do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:20 am

And it's probably one of the most important movements of our lifetime if it continues
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WbHistory
OG

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 am

No like one of their leaders came out in Times Square and essentially said they don't know what they want legit, all the people my brothers talked too like don't even know what they are protesting anymore!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:52 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Shitgoose, MD
OG

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:37 pm

eatshit wrote:
I mean, they know what they want unless they're idiots. Everyone knows what they want they just don't know how to do it.

implying they aren't idiots...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:41 pm

OGSWANSON wrote:
eatshit wrote:

I think out of the million+ people protesting around the globe, there are a few smart ones
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Shitgoose, MD
OG

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 pm

eatshit wrote:
OGSWANSON wrote:
eatshit wrote:

I think out of the million+ people protesting around the globe, there are a few smart ones

We have them protesting here. There are signs like "Honk if you're in debt!". Such a joke. Or like "Where's my bailout?". Yet no one complained throughout the entire 2000s (up until crisis) that the economy was expanding too quickly. This is the recurring issue with capitalism, and this is how it works. If the banks had not gotten bailed out (some immensely more than others, MorganStanley in particular), then (a) the crisis would have been INFINITELY worse and (b) it would have been solely the fault of the US government for not bailing them out when it was entirely in their power. This would have resulted in a Republican candidate never being elected so long as people the people at the time were alive (Bush was still president at the time, and with Republicans typically running pro-business it would have been the ever-so-cliche 'political suicide').

Again, everyone likes to pretend that there was perfect knowledge at the time, however no one knew what was going to happen or had a clear picture of the complexity of the web of counterparty risk stemming from the large amount of mortgage backed securities. To summarize this VERY briefly: credit is a very important thing when it comes to companies engaging in contracted transactions. When you enter into a very large contracted transaction, such as taking one side of a bet by buying the mortgage backed securities, then the amount of this transaction that needs to be backed by collateral (Letter of Credit/Cash Posting/etc.), with the amount being determined by (a) the credit rating of the security (or if the security is not rated), (b) the potential exposure you face by entering in the transaction (how much you can lose).

The main problem with the mortgage backed securities was that they were improperly rated because the rating agencies had no idea how to do it. This meant that BAD investments were collateralized as if they were very GOOD investments. Because the banks/institutions were treating this as if they were the highest possible quality there was very little collateral posted. Now the default ratings on home loans started to go up (people stopped paying their mortgages) then the mortgage backed securities started to plummet in value because all the MBSs are is buying the cash flow on those loans. SO when these MBSs drop in value, coupled with the fact that there was ABSOLUTELY NO PERCEIVED RISK on these securities, and that there was no collateral posted on them, all of the owners just started to sell like crazy. Because more people start selling the price drops more. Eventually someone is holding the bag on this, and pretty much any company that owns these had a lot of other companies transacting with it. When that company goes under all of its debts to others go unpaid. So pretty much every company, pension fund, college endowment, asset management group is going to get fucked by this because we are talking $trillions.

Knowing what we know now, maybe the situation was not handled properly, HOWEVER hindsight is 20/20. At the time this abso-motherfucking-goddamn-lutely had to be done or, and I am not kidding you, there would be no more 1st world economies.

I am sorry that these people went to colleges they couldn't afford, to get shit degrees like child development or psych or marketing and are now pissed that they can't pay off their loans. I am also sorry that people decided to disregard the typical suggested housing cost of 3x annual salary (particularly in California where people making like 100k were buying $1M homes), but those are the breaks. So do I think a few of them are smart? Maybe a small few. But, all of the celebrities that are getting behind them are only doing so because the people protesting are their key demographic and it is a way to win fans. At the end of the day nothing will come of this 'movement' besides more bitching and people applauding 'the importance of social media in modern society'.

Important to note that probably more than 50% of those protesting that they need more breaks are tweeting it from a $500 iPhone.

Also, no way there are 1+ Million people total who have protested even for a single day. I would be hesitant to put the number of people who have actually been out in the street at any point holding a sign above 70,000.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 am

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/lu6nc/reddit_can_enable_occupy_movements_to_permanently/

Reddit can enable "occupy" movements to permanently shift power from corporations to people and move the world into a new era. Here's how:

Quote :

We create an online community that will enable us to collectively define the world's biggest problems, and then tap into our collective wisdom to create the solutions for those problems. The most important problems are "upvoted," and so are the best solutions to those problems. What we have then is crowd-sourced democracy.
I will personally fund this initiative if you'd like to join me.
But will it work? Yes it will. How do I know? Two reasons.
One: History has set the precedent. For example- the printing press (quick and cheap knowledge transfer) aided in ending the Dark Ages.
Two: I'm a Director at a Fortune 500 company, so I know first hand. For instance: I pay for a service that monitors every comment/post/tweet/blog about my company and I mobilize teams to manage even the smallest level of fallout, even “slightly negative” sentiment. Why? Because I know that the power is shifting. Individual customers can impact millions of dollars in revenue by portraying my company in the wrong light, even slightly, via the Internet. So I watch and listen, and then I react… Because I must do everything I can to control the perception of my brand and it’s subsequent impact to my bottom line.
Although I’m sure this is scary for many of my peers, it’s absolutely thrilling to me when I think of what this means for the world: the age of pure-profit motivation is very quickly colliding with the age of instant global information exchange and transparency.
But it's still early days, and we haven't quite connected the dots yet. Just wait until global corporations think about what people want (not just the product, but the product’s impact) before they think about their balance sheets. They know that if their customers don't like what they're doing (and their days of hiding are over by the way) then their business has no future. A free-market that is 100% accountable to the people that it serves, thanks to the Internet.
It's about time too, in fact it’s perfect timing. Industrialization is slowly shifting into the age of sustainability led by technological innovation, but that shift is being prolonged by companies that like things the way they are now, highly profitable and predictable. Change is uncertain and will upset elements of their business model, so it will be avoided and postponed for as long as possible. But this is a dangerous thing: global corporations have achieved unprecedented levels of power over the planet, its people, and its resources. They’re not accountable to a single set of governing rules, and many countries (both modern and developing) will do whatever it takes to attract investment from these companies into their borders, in many cases at the cost of safety to their people, and to the integrity of the environment.
So here’s what I’d like to create, in summary: • An online community that is accessible across the globe, in multiple languages • Simple and quick to start, so that we can support off-line movements while they’re still occurring (Arab spring, occupy wall-street) • Software that enables users to “skim the cream off the top,” meaning that the most crucial issues and solutions receive the most attention (as decided by the community) • Future evolution to include: o Facebook/Twitter/etc integration o Mobile access: WAP, Smartphone apps, and SMS o A repository of information about companies from customers and employees that is vetted by the community o Regional/local pages within the community to solve problems close to home • …And a lot more (I have a plan framework that I will share with the working team)
This has been something I’ve wanted to do for over three years. I’ve been saving, planning, and building connections, but I’m not quite ready… However I’ve never seen more of a need for this type of initiative than right now, and it’s important that we create this platform while the timing is right in order to keep the momentum going.
I want to know two things from this community: • Can you help? If so, how? (Top-shelf web developers and legal experts especially) • Do you have feedback for me? What should I be sure to include/exclude? What pitfalls should I look out for?
This is my first post on Reddit. Thanks for reading.
EDIT
I'm in Asia at the moment and just woke up to find this on the front page with over 500 comments. Amazing response, glad to see that I might be on to something.
Getting ready to have a look at my calendar to see what I can cancel today to start digging into some of these responses.
If there are a significant number of people who'd like to join me in the development of this project, I'll put together a simple application process to ensure we get the most talented group possible to kick this off.
Please keep the conversation going, and I'll check in ASAP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBC HERALD
Grand Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/police-use-bulldozers-break-occupy-richmond

Lold at title
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...   Today at 2:21 pm

Back to top Go down

So the Occupy/We Are the 99% Movement has begun spreading rapidly...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1